Wednesday 23 January 2013

Simplicity 7478

Stash Busting 2013:  Project #6

Fabric Used:   2 metres of navy fabric from Mama R's stash.

Pattern Used:  Vintage pattern found last year over at Etsy, Simplicity 7478.  

Zipper Used:   55 cm invisible zipper.

*****

After a bit of tweaking, Mama R has a new dress.

Simplicity 7478, the modified tent dress with the yoke forming a cowl neckline didn't get the Mama R seal of approval right away. She loved the cut of the neckline, the cowl, however, was not her style.  

She did ask that I sew it on just so that she could see how it looked.

This cowl has tucks at the back and a one and a quarter inch hemline turned in on the edge.

I made this neckline work for Mama R by opening up the tucks and trimming the yoke down to 1 1/4" from the seamline.  I serged the edge and stitched in the ditch.


The finished revision is more to Mama R's liking, she's quite pleased with its shape.

I have to say that I like both necklines. I don't have a preference to one over the other. I do agree that the new finish does suit Mama R. And this would have to be the first dress that she didn't ask me to re-cut the neckline. Score!

We both like the placement of the dart, it is perfect. This pattern is for sure a keeper.

The one thing about this pattern is the hemline. It looks like a short style on the pattern illustration but the illustrator took some creative licence with this cover. The finished back length on the dress: forty and a half inches. I trimmed four inches off and the dress has a two inch hem.

I might have to borrow this pattern later and make a cute summer dress for myself.

Until then, Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...