Sunday 30 May 2021

May in Review...

Me-Made-May

As the second Me-Made-May under a pandemic comes to a close, there are a few observations.  First, I tend to live in pajamas as I quickly change out of my clothes after a day at work.  Getting dressed up is not a top priority.  It's well below making sure that I have face masks, Lysol wipes, hand sanitizer and disposable gloves in my handbag.  Oh and the handbags I use are way bigger than the one I was using pre-pandemic or the current trend for little bags sized for a credit card and lipstick.  Talking about lipstick.  I haven't worn lipstick in over a year.  Have you?  

How things have changed!

And I really need to lose weight.  Most of my clothes don't fit. This year's Me-Made-May selection is a reflection of this sad fact.  


Sewing

Sewing wise, I've developed an appreciation for mending. It feels good to fix things and get them back into rotation.  

Talking about fixing things, there is a previously-loved machine in my life.  The previous owner wanted to find a new home for the machine as they said didn't use it and asked if I need a serger.  It was gifted to me and oh my gosh, I'm really grateful for this incredible gift.  

It was in great need oil and it still needs some attention and TLC.  I found a copy of the manual online and am slowly going through it to get it working again.  I might have to bring it in for a professional to get it in working order.  The thread from the left needle is not catching, even though I've re-threaded and changed the needle.  If I can get this in working condition, it will be a welcome item to the sewing table.  

I would have tinkered more with the machine if the sewing mojo wasn't starting to reappear.  Maybe it was encouraged by the new machine.  Or perhaps it is the beautiful cotton stretch woven fabric that I stumbled across earlier this month.  

I picked this up with the thought of making another Eva dress with a little more ease.  Did I mention that I out-grew most of my wardrobe?  I'm seriously lacking summer clothes that fit. It's almost done, just the hemline to shorten and finish.   


Output

Fabric:  33.1 metres + 1 recycled skirt

Zippers:  0 (May) + 1 - 55 cm zipper = 

Buttons:  0 (May) = 18

Seam binding:  0 (May) + 7 metres (prior months) = 7 metres

Knit 'N Stable Tape:  0 (May) + 9 metres (previous months) = 9 metres

Twill Tape:  0 (May) + 0.5 metres (prior months) = 0.5 metres

Spools of thread2 700 metres

Sewing machine needles:  0 (May) + 3 (prior months) = 3

Hand needles:  0 (May) + 1 (prior months) = 1

Sewing Label1

Input

Fabric:  10 metres (May) + 24.7 metres (previous months) = 34.7 metres 

Sewing Machine Needles:  0 (May) + 1 package of 3 serger needles (previous months) = 3

Buttons:  0 (May) + 10 (previous months) = 10

Sewing patterns:  2 patterns (May) + 2 (previous months) = 4 

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...