Sunday 28 June 2020

Seam Finishing Without a Serger

My decades old serger has not been sewing a decent seam finish lately.  It's time to take it in for servicing or ~gasp~ think about replacing it.  Both of these options won't be happening anytime soon with how expensive life has become since the arrive of the pandemic and I'm about to be laid off from work. Needless to say, I'm really watching my pennies nickels.  

Self-threading serger, {source}

Unless, I win the big prize of a lottery or save up enough nickels.  Yup, a nice dream, but I digress... Until that dream comes true, I'll be returning to the BS life (before serger).  


Thankfully, my sewing machine comes equipped with decorative and zig-zag stitches that I can adapt into seam finishing options.  These will work on the current project that I need to finish, I think I will go with the first stitch on the left for this embroidered corduroy fabric.  

Other types of fabric will require other seam finishing techniques. Sheer, light-weight fabrics will be best handled with a French seam finish.  Fabrics prone to fraying can be treated with bound seams. Thank goodness there's a bias tape maker in the sewing basket to make bias tape

There is a welcomed sense of slowing down the process and thinking about how to finish a seam without the speed of a serger. Maybe, returning to the basics is just what might kick-start the sewing mojo?  

Do you have a favourite non-serger seam finish that you like to use?  

Stay Safe, Be Kind and Happy Sewing!  

1 comment:

  1. Depending on the fabric, I often use felled seams, sometimes French seams, sometimes wrap the seam allowances in Seams Great or just pink them.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...