Sunday 21 April 2013

The Angel Shirt

I am currently working on another Lynn Mizono design, the Angel Shirt.

Vogue came out with a pattern for this shirt in 2011, Vogue 1274. And I have no reasonable reason why it has taken so long to get this project started.

I'm using a 100% cotton fabric that I found at Ikea. I adore the whimsical print. I think this will be a fun shirt for spring!

I was surprised to find the shirt has stitched French seams. I haven't sewn a garment with French seams in years! I forgot how easy it they are to sew. My serger is getting a break with this project and I'm throughly enjoying the change in pace.  


With wrong sides together stitch 1/4" away from the edge.  Trim and press the seam.  Don't skip the pressing part!
You want a nicely pressed edge for when you turn it over to match right sides together.  

With right sides together stitch 3/8" from the edge encasing the raw edges.
Press again and there you have it a French seam!  

The sleeves and armhole seam are also finished with French seams. There is no fear with this area since the armhole is deep, it shouldn't be difficult at all.

But I did notice in my Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Sewing book, my go-to reference book, that there is a mock French seam for curved edges.
With right sides of fabric together, stitch on the seamline.  Trim seam allowances to 1/2", press, matching folds along the edge.  Stitch these folded edges together.  Press seam to one side (150).
Not that I'm going to try it on this Vogue pattern. I thought it was another interesting self-finished seam.

Well, I have quite a few French seams to finish before I reach the armhole seams. I should get back to work.

Happy Sewing!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...