Friday 12 June 2020

Baby Onsie: Vintage McCall's 7367


Vintage (circa 1994) out-of-print (OOP) McCall's 7367 has seen a lot of action on the cutting table over the years. It has also been years since I stitched up a version of this pattern.


Instead, I sewed two, both to be gifted. It's a sweet pattern and it has been a go-to baby shower and charity gift item over the years. But now I remember why I haven't been stitching more of these over the recent years. It's all about my sewing machine, there's nothing wrong with the pattern. The sleeve and leg cuffs are a very snug fit around the arm of my sewing machine.
 

Throw in that my wrists are not as cooperative as they used to be in my younger days, this has turned out to be a struggle to get it in position to sew the cuffs. Before I could finish this project, I had to unpack my older back-up sewing machine and dust it off to sew the cuffs for the simple reason is that the arm is smaller than on my newer machine.   


I'm so glad I still have the older machine for projects like this one. But I will tell you, I'm ready to pack up this vintage pattern for good. I think it's time that I retire this pattern, for the sake of my wrists.  

The fabric is a light-weight terry and the cuffs (plus the facing on one) is a cotton knit. These fabrics were found in the stash where they were hanging out for many moons. Pre-shrunk with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before it hit the cutting table.  


Project Details  

Seams:  These were sewn with a 5/8" seam allowance and the lightning bolt (knit stitch) 1.0 zig-zag, 2.5 length.  

Seam Finish:  Serged

Tips:  Use a walking foot for sewing knits.  

Fabric:  2 metres (for the two)

Snaps:  2

Interfacing:  1 metre fusible

Twill Tape:  2 metres

Pattern:  OOP McCall's 7367

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushions (wrist and table), tailor's chalk, scissors, thread clippers, sewing machines, serger, threads, tweezers, screwdriver, serger needle and cup of tea.  

Stay Safe, Be Kind and Happy Sewing!  


6 comments:

  1. Such a cute outfit! I see why its been an oldie but a goodie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine. It really is a cute pattern, McCall's did well on this one.

      Delete
  2. Your onesie is adorable. I have never used a free-arm machine. I always just sew from the inside. It has always worked fine for me. Perhaps that would be an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LindaC. Thank you for the suggestion, I will have to post-pone retiring this pattern and try it out.

      Delete
  3. So cute! Yes, I agree with LindaC, sew from the inside. I have a free arm, but never do small cuffs stretched over it. Turn the sleeves or legs wrong side out. Make your cuffs and tuck into the sleeve or leg. I usually just find the halves (instead of quartering the larger holes-like a neckline). Match the half way points and pin. Sew from the inside and stretch to fit. Hope that makes a bit of sense.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you bbarna. Yes, that does make sense, I never thought of doing it this was until your and LindaC's suggestions, thank you. Now I'm going to have to make another one to try out this technique. :)

      Delete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...