Sunday 28 June 2020

Coat: OOP Burda Style 7028

It's hot outside and the mosquitos are out. And as news outlets are talking about the pandemic's second wave, the executive director of the World Health Organization (WHO) warns that globally "we're right in the middle of the first wave." All good reasons, I think, to stay indoors and finish off a coat.  


Actually, I didn't think that I would finish this coat, it was meant to be a toile to test out the fit. As the outer shell came together, I decided to go ahead and cut out the lining pieces. What I need is a short winter coat and even though this one won't work at keeping me warm during a deep freeze it will work in those early autumn months before the snow settles on the ground.  The plan was to try out this pattern before committing my last piece of wool coating fabric to the project.  


It's out-of-print OOP Burda 7028 and I picked up this pattern because it was advertised as a Miss Petite sized pattern drafted for a five foot, three inch body. Close enough I thought. If I revisit this pattern for the shorter length coat that I want to have for the winter, I will shorten it at the seam for the mid-section of the coat, raising the pockets to a more comfortable height. This will also shorten the back hem to just above the knee on my five foot and a bit height.  


The pattern is fine. I like the cocoon shape of the coat that reminds me of something out of the 1920s.  I'm not a fan of the dropped shoulder but I can live with it. As it is, this wearable toile is something that will be easy to throw on for running errands. 


My outer fabric dictated the closure choice. Buttons were not an option because the uneven texture of this embroidered corduroy fabric would make buttonholes difficult to navigate. Throughout the sewing process, the sewing machine needle often became "stuck" in the thickness of the embroidery and pulled out of the shaft. So snaps seemed like the most logical decision. Luckily these were in the notions stash, for decades, as the card holder indicated that it was purchased at Courage My Love. I haven't been there in many, many moons.  

The heavily embroidered narrow-wade corduroy is also from the previous century. This fabric made it into my stash when there was still a Fanny Fabrics in the city. The cotton back kasha lining fabric is from this century. 



Project Details

Seams:  Straight stitch 2.8 length

Seam Finish:  Most interior edges were serged.  Finish on the sleeve hems were finished with a zig-zag stitch.  

Tips:  A clapper comes in handy for achieving a nice crisp press at the edges.  

Fabric:  3 metres

Lining:  2 metres (I had to cut several pattern pieces on the cross grain to make this quantity work)

Snaps:  3 - 1" 

Pattern:  OOP Burda Style 7028

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushion, measuring tape, tailor's chalk, measuring gauge, scissors, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, clapper, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, threads, hand sewing needle, thimble, and many breaks.  

Stay Safe, Be Kind and Happy Sewing!


4 comments:

  1. This looks so cozy!! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, me too! I have another big project I need to concentrate on right now but I hope to have the wool version done before the end of the summer.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for reviewing this pattern - I have just pulled this pattern out of stash and was looking to see who else had made it! Yours looks terrific, and I will now ensure that my pattern goes to my cutting table rather than returning to stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same, I was searching if anyone made a copy but couldn't find any reviews out there. The changes I plan to make are based on my height (five feet, not quite an inch), otherwise it's a well-drafted pattern. For sure will be re-visiting this one when I clear up some time.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...