Sunday 17 March 2013

I Might Be Crazy...

I'm planning out my next sewing project. I'm not saying that my sewing mojo has returned in full force but I'm starting to think about what's next. Since I'm not motivated to sew what is in my sewing drawer, I've decided to cut out a new project.   

I was over at Pattern Review and yesterday was the start of their pattern stash contest. That had me thinking about Vogue 8667. I've had this pattern in my stash for some time. I picked this pattern up after seeing so many cute versions of this dress. I don't know why it has sat in my pattern stash for this long.

I figure it is about time to get to work on my own version of this dress. I want to make some design changes to the pattern though.  First up, I want to add about three inches to the length. The second tweak will be to add sleeves. There is a lined cap sleeve but I would like a three quarter length sleeve. The third tweak will be some side pockets.

It is my fabric choice that might make one wonder if I'm off my rocker, it's a 100% cotton plaid. Yes, I'm thinking about making a princess seamed bodice with a plaid fabric. I must be crazy. I am thinking that maybe the side front and back pieces I'll cut on the bias.

And the fabric has an embroidered border. I'm going to make the A-line skirt. This might also throw off the lines of the plaid as I try to work with the embroidered edge for my hemline.

I will have to cut the dress on the cross-grain. I'm not trying to ruin the fabric, I'm cutting it out with my fingers crossed that it will work out. I know that the plaid may very well not match but that is okay with me, it is that lovely embroidered edge that I'm trying to capture into the design. I hope to re-draft a three-quarter length sleeve so that I can again feature the pretty embroidery.

Well, I should get back to work. The layout and cutting process is taking some time.

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love that embroidered edge. I do hope that the pattern with changes works out. Looking forward to the finished project.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...