Many moons ago, I scored the original copy of a DVF wrap dress pattern, vintage Vogue 1610. Today, you can find a copy via Vogue patterns as many DVF patterns are being re-released. This re-released wrap dress design is now listed as Vogue 2040. It's a lovely pattern and if you do fancy yourself a wrap dress, I would certainly recommend it as a pattern to try.
My wrap dress wearing days are behind me, due to scoliosis, this is not a flattering look on an asymmetrical body no matter how loud fashion influencers and fashion writers claim it's a miracle garment design. It's pretty darn close though. But I digress. Other than to say, wear whatever you feel good in. The wrap dresses are not so much doing it now-a-days. Even so, I could not let the dress go. It was the fabric. That gorgeous cotton knit that came from Emma One Sock many moons ago. Swoonworthy is the fabric.
I got to work deconstructing the dress to see if I can salvage enough of the fabric to make something that would actually work in the wardrobe these days. And I came to the conclusion that I
Sewing IS Political
This is another Canadian made and tariff free sewing project. The fabric came from a company in the U.S.A. before the convicted felon started his trade war with the world and made fabric shopping from the U.S.A. crazy expensive, unless you're a billionaire. I am not, so no more EOS shopping has been happening the past few years. The vintage pattern is also a product of the U.S.A. and I'm happy to report it contributed to the local economy. It came from a Canadian reseller. The fabric scissors are from Merchant and Mills, a U.K. company and were purchased from The Workroom, a Canadian fabric outlet. The threads were pulled from the stash and were purchased at Fabricland, another Canadian fabric outlet. The sewing label is from KATM, an Australian company that now ships from Canada so that we can avoid paying tariffs. Thank you KATM!
Project details
Seams: Knit (lightning bolt) stitch
Seam finish: Serged and cover stitched
Fabric: Skirt portion of one wrap dress
Label: 1--"me made" label
Pattern: Vintage and OOP Vogue 7323, circa 2000.
Additional Tools and Supplies: Cutting table, seam ripper, fabric scissors, pins, tailor's chalk, Janome 4120 QDC sewing machine, regular walking foot, Janome AirThread 2000D serger, threads, Janome 1000CP coverstitch machine, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, hand sewing needle, silk thread for basting, clips, pin cushion, pumpkin spice latte and a wee little break.
Stand strong, elbows up and keep sewing.

No comments:
Post a Comment