Tuesday 26 May 2020

In Sewing New Today...

A few months ago the strap on my handbag broke. The leather strap was fine, it was the hardware that gave out. The strapless handbag sat unused for months because I miss having a strap. Until now.  


Instead of spending funds to replace the handbag hardware, I created a new strap with one of the scarves made earlier this year. I actually like how it looks and it sits comfortably on my shoulder. I'm still holding onto the leather strap that came with the handbag, it might come in handy for another fix-it project.  

It seems like the pandemic's greatest impact on my life has been driving home the make do and mend mantra. Going out to run errands takes more time and can be stressful if you're in an environment where folks are not taking social distancing and Covid-19 medical precautions seriously. Making do with what is on hand is a much safer and less stressful option. And it's challenging me to be more creative. There a sense of joy that comes with successfully completing this challenge and giving new life to a old object.  

In other sewing news, I discovered the likely reason for an increase demand in face mask sewing requests. Costco is no longer selling face masks or gloves in their stores and online. But I was able to find a box of 50 disposable face masks at my local pharmacy for sixty dollars. That wasn't a typo. I would have to work more than half a day to pay for that one box. No wonder workplaces are not supplying face masks or if they are, they're limiting how many you can use during the day. I'm so glad that I can sew. Needless to say, there is another batch of 3-ply reusable face masks on the sewing table.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...