Friday 29 May 2020

Another Shirdress & Matching Face Mask: Vintage Vogue 1606

It didn't take long for vintage, out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 1606 to hit the cutting table again. To be honest, I thought I might be making the pullover dress that reminds me of the new Vogue 1691 before another shirtdress. But here I am showing my latest shirtdress. 
 

Goodness, this pattern is beautiful. The only thing it was missing were pockets and on this version I put in-seam pockets instead of patch pockets like on the first version. Otherwise, it was basically the same changes that were seen on the first: switched the sleeve placket and cuff details, lengthened the dress this time by three inches and shortened the sleeve length a wee bit more. I think I can still shorten it a bit more.  

And the matching face mask is created with the Dhurata Davies pattern, left over fabric for the lining as well and it's interlined with cotton knit. I really like the fit of this pattern. The only adjustment that I make to the pattern is how the casing is sewn.  


I did stray away from Vogue 1606 pattern instructions. And I got myself in a tangle when it came to inserting the sleeves. I should have starting with sewing the sleeve and sides but instead I sewed the sides and godets first. It was actually kind of comical how I had to maneuver and sew the sleeves.  Thankfully, it all worked out. I just mention it because Betty Jackson and Vogue patterns have a well-thought out plan laid out in the instruction sheets when it comes to piecing this project together. Stick with their plan, it's a good one.   


The fabric is a beautiful medium-weight, printed, 100% cotton that I scored at Mitchell Fabrics back-in-the-day when they were open. I do miss that store and the selection of fabrics they used to bring in. But I digress... This narrow width cotton that was pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before a steam pressing. 

I really like the print with "France, Fashion Wear, 100% Cotton, and Handmade Clothes" printed on the fabric. It's perfect! Although olive green with the navy blue text is not my go-to colours it was the print that had me sold on this one.  

The buttons were what I could scavenge out of the button collection. The two-hole 12 mm brown buttons were used in the front. There are four-hole perfectly matched green buttons used for the cuffs. I was only able to find six of these ones. I don't mind that there are two different buttons found on the shirtdress as I don't think anyone will really notice. I'm just thrilled that I was able to recycle the buttons.  


The Stats

Fabric:  3.7 metres (115 cm width)

Buttons:  13 - 12 mm 


Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, pin cushions, clapper, tailor's chalk, thread clippers, sewing machine, serger, threads, hand sewing needle, walking foot, buttonhole foot, tweezers, screwdrivers, serger sewing machine needle, seam ripper, buttonhole cutter, wooden chopping block hammer, iron, ironing board and coffee.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...