Wednesday 13 May 2020

In Sewing News Today...

There was actually some non-pandemic related sewing yesterday. The sewing project did get delayed this weekend with another request for a face mask from a friend that I was more than happy to make. But yesterday was a full-blown day of almost uninterrupted sewing bliss. It was fun to alter, modify and sew a new-to-me pattern. After, my initial sewing blooper that almost brought me to tears last week, everything was working out great. I hope to finish sewing up the last bit of details tomorrow and have it ready for a reveal soon.  

Sewing Fisherman's Wife by Anna Ancher circa 1890.


In other sewing news, Vogue patterns are on sale and the new "Sale" pricing has some sewing enthusiasts to the south quite upset. I don't know how some missed it during the last on-line sale? Yup, it's not cheap to sew and it hasn't been for a long time if you live outside of the United States and like sewing with the Big Four pattern company offerings. If patterns were ordered online at the previous $6.99 offering there was US$ exchange rates and insane shipping costs added onto that enticing advertised sale price. I'm still a fan of Vogue patterns but I agree, right now in this global economic climate, commercial sewing patterns are a luxury item. It's the perfect time to take up pattern drafting considering that many of us are under stay home and save lives orders.  

I guess it wasn't all that unexpected that sewing pattern increases would follow the price increases of sewing notions and fabrics double and triple in recent times.  

Sewing really has changed in the recent years and now shopping for clothing is being challenged in the retail marketplace by the pandemic. It will be interesting to see how all of this will impact people's view of sewing. I suspect that many more people will pick up sewing despite the increase costs many of us have noticed in recent years.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!  
  

1 comment:

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...