Saturday 16 May 2020

Me Made May Challenge: Brassiere

Sewing a brassiere, void of any underwire and in a natural fibre fabric, has been on my wish-list for quite some time. Simplicity 8510 (Simplicity R10160 on my copy), a 1930s vintage style (2019 release) made my dreams come true.  


This is a well drafted pattern and it fits well too. You'll have to take my word for it.  


There is just a very odd thing about this pattern. It's found in the instruction sheet within step one regarding the construction of the darts.  
TIP:  To prevent a "bubble" at the point, make the last few stitches right on the fold and leave the thread end long enough to tie a knot.  DO NOT back-stitch at the point.
Okay, who back-stitches at the end of a dart? I'm blown away that that would even have to be included in a pattern. 


Nothing else stands out other than how incredibly comfortable this is to wear. There may be more to be made once I find some more hooks and eyes.  

The fabric is a light-weight linen that has been in my stash for many moons. It was prewashed in the washer and followed a tumble in the dryer. It's nice and soft now. It will become a hand wash item in the future. 


The Stats

Fabric:  0.60 metres 

Interfacing:  scrap piece of fusible

Elastic:  0.05 metres 

Hooks and Eyes:  3

Pattern:  Simplicity R10160 / Simplicity 8510

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, tailor's chalk, pins, pin cushion, tracing paper, pencil, ruler, measuring gauge, scissors, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, walking foot, screwdriver, hand sewing needle, and thread.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...