Tuesday 28 January 2020

Hmmm, What Else Can I Hem?

Last month I tried to sew some handkerchiefs but struggled with negotiating the corners on a rolled hem on my sewing machine.  Readers offered a variety of suggestions from baby hems to mitered corners.  Before researching and trying out these suggestions (thank you!), I turned to my serger instruction book to the section on narrow hemming.  

This is the first time I changed the plate on the serger and fiddled with the dials. First. Time. Ever. I don't know why it took so long to explore some of the tricks and techniques my serger is able to accomplish. This worked out great and then I went searching for what else I could hem.  


I became a kid in a candy store as I searched my fabric stash for some silk and sheer fabrics that I have been holding on as I tried to decide on a seam finish. I was so close to hand stitching a rolled hem but the thought of rubbing medication on my wrist or having to wear a brace afterwards discouraged that thought.

The narrow hem created on the serger was perfect. And before I knew it, I finished hemming three handkerchiefs and five scarves. 


 
The Stats 

Fabric:  4.5 metres

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Serger, thread clippers, rolled hemming needle plate, threads and a cup of tea.  

Happy Sewing!  

4 comments:

  1. SCORE! What a great use of those beautiful prints! And the rolled hem looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have been afraid to touch the dials on my serger. You just might have given me the courage to do so.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, for years I didn't dare touch my serger dials or change the plate. If I had some extra cash kicking around, I would get another serger just so I won't have to change it back and forth, lol.

      Delete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...