Tuesday, 6 January 2015

And Now the Dress

Stash-busting 2015:  Long-sleeved dress

Fabrics:                      3 metres satin @ $23.73 ($7.91/metre) + 0.15 metre of fusible interfacing @  $1.02 ($6.78/metre) = $24.75

Basting Tape:          1.12 metres @ $0.98/metre = $1.10

Needle:                       $0.62

Zipper:                       22 inch invisible zipper @ $3.57

Pattern:                      Simplicity 2372


Sewn on:                  Janome 4120 QDC using straight stitch for seams and blind hem for the hems. 

Hand-stitching:    Slip sttich (blind stitch) strategically stitched along facing and basting before hemming.  

Seam finish:            Serged on Janome MyLock 234D

Are you feeling a sense of deja vu?  No worries, you did see something like this a couple of days ago when I made a top using this very pattern and this very same fabric. Mama R likes both that much.  


There are a few changes made to the pattern that you may notice from the pattern illustration to finished garment. The centre front seam has been removed, short sleeves lengthened to full sleeves, and there is a centre back invisible zipper.  

I picked up this fabric to make myself a top but Mama R loved it so. So I gave it to her--all of it. ~sigh~ It would have made a lovely top with McCall's 7053 but it wasn't meant to be. It kind of breaks my heart a bit thinking about it. No more, not thinking about it. All the fabric is used up. Moving on... 

The total cost of materials used to make the dress came to $30.04 and how happy Mama R is with her new dress makes this dress priceless. It is all well worth losing this gorgeous piece of fabric just to see her smile and the hugs. Priceless.   

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...