Tuesday, 27 January 2015

Pin-striped Dress

Stash-busting 2015:  A Marcy Tilton Design

Fabric:                       3.1 metres of striped knit @ $7.01 ($2.00/metre)

Pattern:                     Vogue 8975 @ $8.55 ($5.99 online sale + shipping)


Sewn on:                Janome 4120 QDC using the knit stitch and the regular presser foot. No twin needle sewing was done on this project.    

Seam finish:           Serged on Janome MyLock 234D.  Hems were left down with serged edges.  

The best part of this dress was putting it together. I really did enjoy sewing this one, it is just like putting together a puzzle. The sewing went quickly and as long as you transfer all the markings onto your fabric pieces you shouldn't have any issues. I actually spent more time cutting out the pieces as several pieces were cut as one.


I do wish that it was longer though. I did notice that it falls about knee length on the model on the pattern envelope but since I am only five foot nothing, I thought it would be at a favourable midi length on me. Not so. It is not horrible, I just wish it was a wee bit longer. Since I did not want to lose any length from the dress I did an overlock stitch and left it at that at the hemline.

And I did think that my derrière was getting a little larger because I notice that the back hemline sat higher than the front hemline. I was mistaken as this is mention in the pattern description as a design element. No, seriously, I'm not kidding. The pattern states, "front longer than back." I wish I noticed that before I cut out my fabric!

There are parts of this dress that I absolutely love; the pockets, the overall fit around the bust and shoulder and the sleeves. If I do make another version of this dress, I would raise the front neckline next time but otherwise I also love the finish of the neckline.  

All-in-all, it is an extremely comfortable pullover knit dress.  

This medium weight knit fabric has been in my stash for more than a decade. I picked it up when Fanny Fabrics closed down and even though it wasn't a love-at-first-sight sort of fabric, I picked it up because it was such a good deal. The fabric worked well with this design. It has small pin-strips running through it which highlights the different directional pieces of this design. Total cost for the dress came to $15.56 dress and added bonus it looks like my sewing mojo is back.  

Happy Sewing!


4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Thanks for mentioning that hem design feature?! I have been sitting on this one for a while. I would love to it see on you. Looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice dress! I miss Fanny Fabrics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dress is sooooo much prettier than the envelope examples!! I have passed this up time after time because of the latter. Now I think I'll give it a go in a solid knit. Thks for the heads up on length, I'm 5'7", usually add 3" to any pattern. And I definitely want my back longer as well. Just not into that Tilton tilted look that sometimes looks like a mistake! Great dress!

    ReplyDelete

In Sewing News Today...

Does it seem odd that it's late July and Vogue Patterns hasn't yet released any fall patterns? Carlos has posted some videos from t...