Saturday 3 January 2015

Book Review: The Pink Suit

The Pink Suit by Nicole Mary Kelby
Published by:  Little, Brown and Company (a division of Hachette Book Group Inc.)
ISBN:  978-0-316-23565-5
Retail:  $29.00 Canada / $26.00 US

The length of time that it took to read this book is not a reflection of how much I enjoyed it. Instead, it is a reflection of how busy my life can get along with how much I wanted to savour the descriptions of hand stitched haute couture art.  

The Pink Suit is rich in details that have been woven from facts into an exquisite piece of fiction. Kelby has created a masterpiece that anyone who has an interest in history, pop culture or the art of sewing would enjoy.  

The story captures the search for equilibrium between reality and fantasy that characters in the novel try to create and navigate through their work and lives. Kate takes us on a historical romp through a time where innocence is lost for the protagonist and a nation through the back streets and service elevators of the fashion districts inspired and lifted from the runways of Paris.

This is truly an enjoyable read that I can not recommend enough. If you haven't yet read this gem, you might want to consider putting this on your "must read list."

Happy Sewing (and reading)!




4 comments:

  1. Great review. Will put it on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were spot on with your review - it was a very good book with lots of wonderful sewing details .
    I got it online thru my library with Overdrive !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this. I am adding this to my list now😊

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...