Saturday, 17 January 2015

A Wearable Muslin

Stash-busting 2015:  A-line Skirt

Fabrics:                      1.6 metres printed cotton @ $11.53 ($6.78/metre) + 0.2 metre of fusible interfacing @ $0.95 ($6.78/metre) = $12.48

Basting Tape:          0.35 metres @ $0.98/metre = $0.34

Zipper:                       7 inch invisible zipper @ $0.50

Pattern:                      New Look 6108 = $6.72


Sewn on:                  Janome 4120 QDC using straight stitch for seams and top-stitching, blind hem foot used for the hem and stitched-in-the-ditch using a walking foot for the waistband.   

Hand-stitching:    Basting the hemline before taking it to the sewing machine to finish. And slip-stitching a small section of the waistband facing where it meets up with the zipper.   

Seam finish:            Serged on Janome MyLock 234D



This fabric is a 100% cotton print which I found on sale at the home decor department at Fabricland about a year or so ago. I can't exactly remember when I picked it up. The price was right for the weight of the cotton. The initial plan was to make a jacket from this fabric.  


The red invisible zipper was part of a notions grab bag that I found at the Salvation Army. I like shopping for vintage notions there because sometimes, like this time, I find cotton invisible zippers. Although the main colour of my fabric is a burnt orange there is some red accents in the fabric and the zipper tab colour doesn't stand out.  

The total cost of this project came to $19.04 which is a real bargain in my eyes because I have a garment that 

✓  is in a natural fabric
✓  fits!
✓  has orange, the happiest colour in the world, in it and
✓  has pockets



Gotta a love it when a pattern works out straight out of the envelope. It is a keeper for sure. I would certainly recommend this pattern if you like the A-line skirt style. I think it is a fun and easy pattern for beginners as well.  

I should note that I didn't follow the pattern instructions while sewing this pattern. The pattern calls for a lap zipper. I inserted an invisible zipper instead and therefore changed the order of construction.  First I sewed the back darts, attached the back waistband pieces and then sewed the invisible zipper. Then I moved onto the front pockets, waistband and then attached the front to back at the side seams. And it all worked out fine. It is a pretty straight-forward pattern. 

Happy Sewing!  




2 comments:

  1. Love the colour and print of the skirt and pockets!!!! I love anything with pockets.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you , it is really comfortable. I'm thinking about making another one.

    ReplyDelete

What The Fudge, Nike and Converse

I'm not going to repost the disgusting and sickening ad that has Converse shoes in the news.  If you want to read about it, here is a li...