Monday 17 December 2012

Please excuse my dress form...

I am not making any sort of statement on man boobs. It is just the only form that I have to display the McCall's 2447 men's shirt.

First thing first. The placket for the sleeves worked out perfectly. I'm quite pleased.

The McCall's pattern instructions were perfect, I can't take credit for these without mentioning that little piece of information.





The pieces matched up nicely. After transferring the pattern markings and pressing a 1/4" around the placket edges it was easy sailing from there.

I did hand stitch before machine stitching. An extra step that was not called for in the pattern instructions. I did it because I wanted them to turn out as well as they could.

I didn't mind the extra time I took during this phase.  
Next up was the cuffs. Here again I followed the pattern, sewing a 5/8" seam allowance and grading the seam allowances. All the while wondering why I'm not working with a 3/8" seam allowance.

I quickly forgot about the 3/8" seam allowance when cuffs turned out beautifully.

Could I possibly be turning into a fan of graded seam allowances?

Almost done, the buttons are picked and the buttonholes are sewn. Just a bit more hand sewing needed to add the buttons. I'm not brave enough to try to sew them using the sewing machine. Call me old fashion.

4 comments:

  1. Love those man-boobs! Hubby will need a lot of stuffing to contest with those...and the shirt is coming along superbly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judith, it is not for "the hubby", I'm what they call those folks that never married, blissfully single. I made the shirt for my little brother. That's why I can jest about man boobs. Siblings, eh! He has a great sense of humour and I'm sure I'll hear some jesting back over the holidays.

      Delete
  2. You know, it's not the gowns and things that impress me most- it's the perfect tucks and positioning of flanges and old school tailoring that makes me go 'ooh' usually.....nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...