Sunday 9 December 2012

The great seam allowance debate.

A few months back, I made a Connie Crawford shirt with a neckband and collar. The shirt was made using Butterick 5365. The one thing that I absolutely loved and that I had never seen before in a commercial pattern was the 3/8" seam allowance around the neckline.

I have to tell you that it was hands down the easiest neckband attachment that I had achieved, EVER.  

Today, I'm stalled at section four of the McCall's 2447 mens' shirt pattern. I've been debating whether or not to continue following the McCall's pattern or tweak it to Connie Crawford's method of sewing.

The McCall's pattern pieces are cut with 5/8" seam allowances and instructions to grade the seam allowances afterwards.

I think McCall's is losing this debate. The more I think about it, I've converted into a 3/8" seam allowance gal now.

I'm just going to have to re-size these collar and neckband pieces before I continue with the mens' shirt.

Happy Sewing!


3 comments:

  1. I am a huge fan of B5365, having made up a few last summer - beautiful neckbands each and every time. Definitely can understand your annoyance with McCalls 2447. Looking forward to seeing it finished...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. B5365 is a great pattern and It has me wondering why I only made one. I'm going to have to change that in the near future.

      Delete
  2. I use 1/4" SA on neck, button bands, collars and cuffs. It's so much easier to sew with a smaller SA in these areas.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...