Monday 31 December 2012

The Year in Review.

Twenty twelve was quite a year and I have to tell you it is difficult to decide which was my favourite make. It is a toss up between the Donna Karan jacket, Vogue 1263, and the Lynn Mizono dress, Vogue 1312.    

January 2012

I started off the year with my first epic fail, The Red Mess Dress! Thankfully, it was not a sign of things to come: 

It was a whirl-wind month with lots of projects accomplished, 1 1/2 dresses (I didn't finish the red mess dress), 2 skirts, and a shirt. 

One of the skirts was a re-fashion project where I re-fashioned an no longer-fitting pair of pants into one of my most wore skirts this year.  

February 2012:  

Just one project this month, Vogue 1263.  

Year to date count:  1 1/2 dresses, 1 skirt, 1 shirt, 1 jacket and 1 re-fashion project.  

March 2012:  

This month I discovered the best fitting shirt pattern in my stash. I can't believe I only made one and hardly wore this shirt this year.  

Year-to-date count:  1 1/2 dresses, 2 skirts, 2 shirts, 1 jacket and 2 re-fashion projects.  

April 2012:

This month I was busy working on an entry for the Vintage pattern contest over at Pattern Review.  

Year-to-date count:  2 1/2 dresses, 3 skirts, 2 shirts, 1 jacket and 2 re-fashion projects.    

May 2012:

I made a pair of curtains for Mama R, and achieved another epic fail project, the wavy neck-line t-shirt.  Highlight of the month came when I discovered my new favourite skirt pattern, Vogue 1247.  

Year-to-date count:  4 1/2 dresses, 4 skirts, 2 shirts, 1 t-shirt, 1 jacket, 2 re-fashion projects and one household item.

June 2012:  

Year-to-date count:  5 1/2 dresses, 6 skirts, 3 shirts, 1 t-shirt, 1 jacket, 2 re-fashion projects and one household item.

July 2012:  

Year-to-date count:  9 1/2 dresses, 7 skirts, 3 shirts, 1 t-shirt, 1 jacket, 2 re-fashion projects and 2 household items.

August 2012:  

Year-to-date count:  11 1/2 dresses, 7 skirts, 3 shirts, 1 t-shirt, 1 jacket, 1 pair of pants, 2 re-fashion projects and 2 household items.

September 2012:  

Year-to-date count:  12 1/2 dresses, 8 skirts, 3 shirts, 1 t-shirt, 1 jacket, 1 pair of pants, 2 re-fashion projects and 2 household items.

October 2012:  

Year-to-date count:  13 1/2 dresses, 8 skirts, 3 shirts, 1 t-shirt, 1 jacket, 1 pair of pants, 2 re-fashion projects and 3 household items.

November 2012:  

Year-to-date count:  13 1/2 dresses, 9 skirts, 4 shirts, 1 t-shirt, 1 jacket, 1 pair of pants, 2 re-fashion projects and 3 household items.

December 2012:  

This month I ventured out of my comfort zone and made some men's wear items, a men's shirt and vest.  

Year-to-date count:  14 1/2 dresses, 9 skirts, 5 shirts, 1 vest, 1 t-shirt, 2 jacket, 1 pair of pants, 2 re-fashion projects and 3 household items.


Sew, what is ahead in the new year?  

I wouldn't mind a challenge and learning how to make a tailored jacket. I have Vogue 8333 in mind for this learning process. The plan: to follow the couture techniques and make a muslin. This will surely challenge my skills.  

Oh and with January just around the corner, I have some animal prints ready for Jungle January. How about you?   

Happy Sewing and Happy New Year!  

4 comments:

  1. What a busy, fulfilling year you had behind the sewing machine! The countdown is on till the New Year is here, with it all new great sewing plans. Enjoy the night...J

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did! I made quite a few items for others, that was the best part of my year. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. You've had a fantastic year, and made some lovely things :) Ooh, that cartoon? shirt looks just amaaaazing!
    All the best for a great 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. I had a few epic fails too but it was all good, it revealed some valuable sewing lessons. The cartoon is a print that I found in the quilting section of the fabric store, it is of all these old sewing comics from the 1950s Home Sewing is Easy Comic Book with Sally Stitch. The fabric store also had the same print in black and white. I made it with Vogue 8748 which had nice big pattern pieces that show off large sections of the comic. The shirt is a hit with the kids at the school where I work.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...