Sunday 16 December 2012

Blue Collar for a White Collar

"Relax, Georgie, I'm just making my collar and cuffs match."
~Carole Lombard (American Actress, 1908-1942)

I will admit I am curious about the history or origin of the terms blue collar, white collar and pink collars. I know the definition of these terms, I just wonder when they first appeared in literature and pop culture. I'm kind of a geek that way. The search for that answer will have to wait for another time. I've got to finish my morning coffee and get back to work on McCall's 2447, the men's button down shirt.   

Yesterday, I corrected the errors of my way. Once the neckband facing was pressed under I was set to go. 


The collar and neckband pieces are finished. I have to say that it was worth all the time that went into this section. 

I'm still not 100% sold on the 5/8" seam allowance and grading the allowance down because of all the time it took to finish. 

On the up side, I did enjoy the relaxing time spent basting and hand-stitching. I'm kind of a geek that way too.

Happy Sewing!    

2 comments:

  1. You have to wait no longer! I thought I knew the answer, but had to check it out, just in case. I was right, of course. Here is a link or two.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_collar

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink-collar_worker

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thanks for the links! So blue collar first appeared during the great depression.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...