Monday 21 November 2011

Fabric Scraps

I'm not a quilter but I have been cutting out squares this evening and I think I'm going to try my hand at making a quilt.

I guess the inspiration to try my hand at quilting came from a trip to Costco.  I made the early morning trip to have my winter tires installed on my car.  There were a group of us waiting and one woman was smart enough to bring along a quilt to finish up some hand stitched details.  It didn't take long for someone to ask her about the beautiful piece of art she was creating.

She surprised many of us when she told us that she quilts as a charity project.  The quilts end up with the Police service for victims.

I didn't think much of it after my snow tires were on my car and I drove off.  Well except for admiring the incredible art work she created and her generous spirit.

That wasn't until I came across the overflowing box of fabric scraps that I have unwittingly collected for some time.

So while I sat there watching an episode of Project Runway (the seventies inspired challenge, luv'd it by the way) I start cutting away at the pile of fabric scraps.

Sew, I think I will try my hand at making a quilt.  It won't be the incredible piece of art the woman at Costco was finishing up. But if I'm lucky, it might be something that might bring some comfort to someone.

So, what do you do with your fabric scraps?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...