Tuesday 26 August 2014

In Sewing News Today...

Remember the knit dress that I made last month? The one that is not even a month old.  
I made it from a light-weight eyelet embroidered knit fabric that I found in the bargain knit section of Fabricland. It was marked down to 70% off the regular price. I thought I scored such a great deal.  

Turns out, it wasn't such a great deal after all. 


I found these holes when I put it on the other day. It is right in the front of the dress. I can't believe it. They were not there when I cut and finished sewing the dress. And I even took care when I laundered it washing it in the delicate cycle with other knits. 

Now, my knit dress is in the mending pile to try to be selvaged.  I doubt that I can fix these holes without it being noticeable, so once mended the dress will become a night-shirt. You can't have too many night-shirts.  

Bummer on the fabric. Oh well, lesson learned, sometimes a bargain is not a bargain.  

I am finally tackling trying to tackle my mending and alteration pile which I typically avoid like the plague. I hurt  re-injured my ribs on the weekend when I bending down to the bottom of the freezer. Someone really needs to design a chest freezer for short people.

I have Vogue 1385 on the sewing table waiting to transfer all those markings but it hurts to bend down right now. Maybe it was the sewing gods telling me to get busy on the out-of-control mending pile before I head back to work. It is not working out too well because the T-2's are making me drowsy. Or maybe it is that mending and alterations bore me?  In other sewing news...

Would you believe me if I told you I walked into Mitchell Fabrics on Saturday and walked out with only a metre and a half of fair trade cotton knit? Yup, despite all the beautiful fall wools and printed silk charmeuse that I was dreaming about as they draped around my fingers I just walked out with the cotton knit. The plan is to do some practical sewing and make a few more pairs of knickers.

While at Mitchell Fabrics I saw and gasped at the most beautiful fabric I laid my fingers on. It was a 100% cashmere coat weight priced at $250 a metre.  Oh my goodness, it was gorgeous and oh-so-very expensive for this gal's budget. But I did appreciate every second we spent together.

Anyway, that is all in sewing news today... 

See you tomorrow with the announcement of the pattern give-away winners. Did you enter?

Happy Sewing!



2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your dress!!! Can you not cover that area with another embroidery design/initial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so when the make goes amuck that make it a wearable muslin right? Research! With just a few wears.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...