Tuesday 23 April 2024

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I longed for a casual cotton version for surviving in the prairie summer heat.  




This can now be checked off the want-to-sew list.  And just in time, as this dress will replace this once go-to summer dress that no longer fits.  But I digress. 

There were some small changes to Butterick 6784.  The right side pocket and petal shaped collar were omitted.  And the hem was shortened two inches.  Otherwise, it's a straight out of the envelope size medium.  The instructions are wonderful.  The pattern is well-drafted and came together without any issues.  Just one warning, many of the pattern pieces are cut one at a time on a single layer of fabric so you'll need space to to lay out the pattern pieces.  

The fabric is a printed cotton with a Moroccan or Portuguese tile vibe I couldn't resist.  The fabric was pre-treated with a tumble through the washing machine and dryer before hitting the ironing board for a steam press.  


Project details

Seams:  2.6 to 3.0 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  4 metres (narrow width)

Interfacing:  0.2 metres fusible

Knit 'N Stable:  0.1 metres


Pattern
Butterick 6784  

Sewing Label:  1 KATM "You Can't Buy This" label

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, additional table legs, measuring tape, measuring gauge, pins, pin cushion, fabric scissors, tailor's chalk, Janome sewing machine, screwdriver, walking foot, Janome serger, threads, iron, ironing board, seam ripper, thread clippers, heat pad for treating back pain and cup of tea.  

Happy Sewing!


1 comment:

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...