Tuesday 15 August 2023

Special Occasion Dress (Adult Version): Butterick 6784

Now-a-days, I'm all about having enough ease in easy accessible clothing.  And I couldn't be more thrilled with how this project turned out.  A pull-over dress with a pocket is a win-win.  


The fabric is a teal coloured crepe that has been in my fabric stash for years, maybe even a decade or more?  Initially, I thought of using a linen but I really like the drape of this fabric with this design.  I'm sure this pattern will hit the cutting table again, so a linen version might happen one day.  But not soon since we're around the corner from the tail end of summer.  

Let's talk about the design!  It's a kAtheRine Tilton design from 2020.  The description from the pattern envelope states, "Misses' Dress."  Someone should fire the person in charge of writing descriptions because this design is so much more.  Even the description found on Pattern Review misses the mark, "round neck dress has small band collar and multiple asymmetrical seams.  Can be short sleeved with cuffs or sleeveless."  

I'm going to give it a try to describe how fabulous this design really is, here goes.  
In true Katherine Tilton fashion, Butterick 6784 is a dress that will remind you that a Tilton design is not only a creative force rarely matched by other designers but also a joy to sew.  Pieced pullover dress is perfect for colour blocking, working with stripes, or keeping it simple with a solid colours.  Fitted in the bust with a tulip shaping at the side seams.  It has two different styles of pockets, a left front pocket and a right side pocket.  The neckline has a petal shaped  collar piece that overlap in the back by end before meeting in the front.  The neckline if finished with a bias cut strip.  Sleeveless or elbow length sleeves with sleeve facing and slits.  Neckline facing and sleeve facing are topstitched in place.  Narrow top-stitched hem.  No length adjustment markings are noted on the pattern pieces.  
The only change I made was to leave off the right side pocket a decision based on the drape of the fabric.  And the hemline was treated with Knit 'N Stable tape and finished with an inch blind hem instead of the recommended narrow hem.    

Butterick 6784 has been in my pattern stash for a long time.  It has made it onto the cutting table a few times only to be replaced with some other project.  It was all about the challenge of cutting out the larger-than-my-cutting table, single layer, pattern pieces that stopped me in my tracks.  That is until something wonderful happened.  


An Instagram message appeared from Winnipeg Sews offering table legs to anyone willing to come and pick them up.  And even though I have a similar set, two more made this dress possible.  I was able to extend the size of my workspace to open up the fabric and cut all the single layers without working from the floor and risking knee and back pain.  I'm so thankful for this wonderful gift.  It truly was a gift.  Without it I don't believe I would have cut this project out.  


Project details

Seams:  2.6 -- 2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.5 metres

Interfacing:  0.5 metres fusible


Label
:  "New Threads" by KATM

Knit 'N Stable:  2.5 metres


Pattern
:  Butterick 6784

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, extra set of adjustable table legs, folding table top, fabric scissors, pins, wrist pin cushion, tailor's chalk, hand sewing needle for basting, iron, ironing board, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, blind hem foot, screwdriver, Jean-a-ma-Jig, Janome serger, threads (finished off 5 - 100 yard spools), thread clippers, Dr. Ho pads and coffee.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...