Wednesday 16 August 2023

Now I Remember Why I Do Not Like PDF Patterns: Asymmetrical Dress / SD Patterns


I'm thrilled with this new pull-over knit dress but I was not so thrilled with all the taping to get to the pattern.  

Oy, all the taping!  And the scale was slightly off.  At that point, I wasted so much paper and ink I didn't care anymore and half expected this project not to work out.  But still I went on.  I guess I was a sucker for those gathers at the dress front curve.  You can't really see it with this print.    

There are other things I do not like about this PDF pattern.  

  • There is no option to have this PDF file sent out to be printed at a print shop.  You are on your own to tape and cut.  If I realized this, I would not have purchased this pattern.  I'm so glad I didn't realize this before hand because in the end, I'm really happy with the dress.  
  • The pages do not fit on letter sized paper.  The dotted lines show on the top and sides of the pages but not the bottom.  There is a significant amount of guesswork to line up the pattern pieces lines.  
  • There are no seam allowances.  There were half inch seam allowances added.      
  • The instructions are the bare minimum.  If you have some experience sewing t-shirts, this is a basic design. 
  • There are no fabric layout information or fabric amount requirements.  Again, you're on your own for figuring out this information.  
  • There are no finished project measurements.  
  • There are no height adjustment lines.  
This pattern could have been so much better in its presentation.  I did receive a 55% off thank you coupon after I purchased the pattern but even with that, I don't think I will be visiting SD Patterns again.  I'm just not that into taping PDF patterns.  If your don't mind taping PDF patterns, I would say go for it.  In the end, I love how this dress turned out.  

I do like the design of the front with that French curve gathering detail.  It is the reason that I made the impulse PDF purchase.   There is a generous amount of ease something that also drew me to the pattern.  There were some changes along the way, The dress and sleeve lengths were shortened by six inches.  The turtleneck was left off and the neckline was adjusted with the seam allowance that was added being removed and the front neckline reshaped.  

The fabric is a cotton knit from Northwest / Marshall Fabrics.  I did not pre-wash it before cutting it out.  If it does shrink in the wash, there is enough ease that I am sure I will be okay.  

Project Details

Seams:  Knit stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.5 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  3 metres 


Pattern:  Asymmetrical Dress by SD Patterns (an Etsy shop)

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Printer, tape, a what-the-heck (WTH) amount of paper (68 pages), new ink cartridges, WTH amount of time taping and adding seam allowances, paper scissors, measuring tape, measuring gauge, iron, ironing board, thread clippers, pattern weights, fabric scissors, Janome sewing machine, regular presser foot, Janome serger, threads, screwdriver, tweezers and tea.  

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I agree. I really despise using most pdf clothing patterns. I would much rather buy a printed pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...