Sunday 27 August 2023

Recycling an Old T-shirt Into a New T-shirt: OOP Vogue 9057

 


Out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 9057 has hit the cutting table again along with an important and special t-shirt that no longer fits.  The t-shirt that sparked this project is the official Orange Shirt Day design from 2018.  


I've worn it every year on September 30th and last year, it was a tight squeeze.  Actually, it's probably been a tight squeeze for longer than a year if I'm going to be honest about those pandemic pounds from a few years ago.  But I digress.  

So, you may be asking, "why September 30th and what is Orange Shirt Day?"  Orange Shirt Day is a small step that we take as Canadians in the life-long healing process towards reconciliation through listening to the stories of residential schools with open hearts and minds and committing to change and respecting human rights that were denied to so many in this country.    

I wanted to rescue this shirt because the message it conveys and the fabric is a 100% cotton and excellent quality and perfect condition.  I tried to see if I could cut out a new front for a new t-shirt but the artwork was placed too close to the neckline for me to successfully cut it out the way I first envisioned it.  I was able to cut out a sleeve but not before I cut the back eliminating the opportunity to cut the other sleeve in a solid colour.  Oops.  The front, back and other sleeve were cut out this cotton fabric left over from this previous project.   


Other changes are exactly as were done with the last time OOP Vogue 9057 hit the cutting table.  Additional ease around the mid-section was the most important change.  


Project Details

Seams:  Knit stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.4 metres + 1 Orange Shirt t-shirt

Knit 'N Stable tape:  1.5 metres



Pattern:  OOP Vogue 9057

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, iron, ironing board, tailor's chalk, pins, pin cushion, Janome sewing machine, regular presser foot, thread clippers, Janome serger, threads and tea. 

Happy Sewing! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...