Wednesday 1 May 2024

Long Sleeve Cotton Knit Dress: SD Patterns

 


This is the second time I'm revisiting this asymmetrical maxi dress by SD Patterns.  Sadly, this pattern doesn't appear to be available anymore on their Etsy shop.  I will admit that I'm not a fan of taping together PDF patterns but I'm glad I still have this one.  It is one comfortable dress.  


My favourite detail on this dress pattern is the small section of gathering in the front right side curve seam.  The original design was for a turtleneck style.  I omitted this design feature and lowered the neckline one inch at the center front grading to the original shape at the shoulder seam.  


The neckline was folded over 5/8" and cover stitched.  

The pattern is designed for someone much taller than I am, so the sleeves were shortened by two inches and have a one inch hem.  The hem length was shortened, a lot.  More than five and a half inches for sure.  

The navy fabric was found in the stash and the anchor print fabric was left over from this project.  Both pieces are cotton knits and were pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before landing on the cutting table.  


Project details

Seams:  Knit (Lightening Bolt) stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.5 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  0.2 metres


Pattern
:  SD Patterns

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, extra set of table legs, folding table top, measuring tape, tailor's chalk, clapper and assorted heavy objects used as pattern weights, pins, pin cushion, measuring gauge, fabric scissor, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, Janome Cover Pro machine, thread clippers, threads, Janome serger, iron, ironing board and tea.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

French Terry Sweatpants: Vogue 8909

Ever since I made a pair of sweatpants using Vogue 8909 , I wanted to sew another pair.   The only thing that stalled this project was sear...