Saturday 23 September 2023

Elastic Waist Maxi Skirt: The Assembly Line (TAL) S:404

In my quest for easy accessible pull-on clothes, TAL's elastic waist maxi skirt hit the sewing table.   


This is pattern number S:404, their A-line shaped maxi skirt with a four inch wide waistband.  It has deep patch pockets that are perfect and top-stitched in place.  


If you're thinking that it doesn't look like a maxi skirt, it may be that I had to shorten the length about five inches to achieve the maxi-length look on me.  It's still well below my knee on my barely five foot frame.  This is the only alteration that I made to the pattern.  For the elastic casing, the widest elastic found in my stash was used, a two inch wide elastic instead of four inch wide elastic called for.  I divided the casing opening into two by topstitching down the middle and inserted two lengths of the two inch elastic.  

A plaid fabric seemed appropriate with autumn's official arrival this week.  This fabric is decades old, many decades.  And it appeared here a few years ago when I made this skirt and dress.  Sadly, that skirt made from OOP Vogue 1567 doesn't fit.  But I digress.  The fabric is a lovely wool, silk and cotton blend that I picked up in Toronto.  Sometimes you hold onto fabric because it's too precious and such a rare find, this was one of those pieces.  This is the last piece of yardage.  Although I do have some scraps and the old plaid skirt made with Vogue 1567, maybe something else may appear with this fabric?  


Project details

Seams:  2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2 metres

Elastic:  1.8 metres -- 2" width


Pattern
S:404 

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, paper scissors, fabric scissors, measuring tape, assorted objects used as pattern weights, thread clippers, measuring gauge, seam ripper, Janome sewing machine, Janome serger, threads, tweezers, screwdriver, iron, ironing board, safety pins and a chai latte.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...