Friday 1 September 2023

September is National Sewing Month: Sew Sustainable

 

A Few Tips for Sustainable Sewing  

1.  Before donating clothes that may eventually end up in the landfill, see if they can be refashioned.  There are so many ideas that you can find by doing a simple online search or by following your favourite refashioners on social media.  Do you have a t-shirt with artwork or a graphic design that still holds meaning but doesn't fit like it once did?  Recently, such a project ended up on the work table and I was thrilled with the save.  


  2.  Mending matters when it comes to sustainable living.  Just like vehicles and homes, clothes need maintenance as well.  If you're new to mending, check out local sewing and arts communities for help.  Often they will run community events.  


3.  Save those scraps!  My mom used to save her fabric scraps from a sewing project in case it could be used for future repairs or alterations.  They can come in handy for recreating new pieces of fabric for a future project as well.  


Happy National Sewing Month!  

2 comments:

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...