Thursday 21 September 2023

Winter White Wool Pants: Butterick 6717


I have always wanted a winter white pair of pants although I don't know how practical these will be to wear outdoors this coming winter.  Don't trust the pristine white images of snow shown in the Hallmark Christmas movies filmed up here.  It can get pretty gray and slushy up in these parts during the winter.  Although the first snow fall is quite stunning in its beauty.  

Pristine white prairie snow, only in the movies!   
Photo Credit:  About a Kiss Before Christmas {Source}

Maybe while the temperatures are an autumn cool and I can still wear shoes.  Otherwise, these may end up being a pair of indoor winter wool pants.  We'll see how the season turns out.  We're supposed to be entering into an El Nino winter pattern and it's predicted that we'll get lots of snow.  But I digress.  

These are made with a trusted pattern, Butterick 6717.  This pattern is currently available as a PDF pattern over on Simplicity website.  I'm just happy I have a hard copy because I'm not a fan of PDF patterns and I would have missed out on this pattern otherwise.  This pants pattern is comfortable and comfort is important.  Needless to say, I do recommend this one.  I really like the comfort of the elastic back and the dart-less front.  

The fabric is a British wool from Fabricland and that has been in the stash for decades.  At one point recently, I did think about selling it to Winnipeg Sews but it didn't make it into the pile because upon inspection, it had a couple of small holes in the fabric.  Luckily, there was enough fabric to cut around those damaged spots.  I am so glad I didn't sell it, I'm really thrilled with how these pants turned out.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 -- 2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.1 metres

Elastic:  0.7 metre


Pattern
:  Butterick 6717

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, measuring tape, pins, pin cushion, fabric scissors, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, regular presser foot, blind hem foot, safety pins, thread clippers, Janome serger, threads, iron, ironing board, clapper, pressing mitt, measuring gauge, seam ripper, tailor's chalk and tea.  

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Me Made May 2024

  This year for Me Made May, I pledge to mend, care and wear my me-made items and the items that no longer fit into my life I will refashion...