Wednesday 2 November 2022

Stash busting: Wool Pull-on Pants / OOP Butterick 6717

The third time is the charm!  

I do like the design of these pants, a simple plain front, elastic back waist, pull-on pants.  I like this pattern enough that when I came across another copy for a larger size option, I jumped on it.  I was trying to solve the dip at the center back waist.    

The previous versions were sewn in a size medium with 1" extra ease added at the side seams.  This worked out to being the same extra amount at the side seam for the next size up but didn't match the changes in ease at the crotch curve and inner thigh.  So, I gave a size large a try.  And I'm happy that I did because the fit is spot on.  

I cut a size large straight out of the envelope, there was no additional ease added to this pair.  The only changes were leaving off the pockets (same as the other pairs) and inserting a 1 1/4" elastic instead of the one-inch recommended elastic.  Oh, wait!  I did remove 5/8" length from the left leg to compensate for a difference caused by scoliosis.  The hem was finished with a 1 1/2" blind hem.  

The stash busted 100% British wool fabric has been in the fabric collection for years.  It was pretreated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer followed by a steam pressing to hopefully get all the shrinkage worked out.  I'll be hand washing these going forward.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2 metres

Interfacing:  0.7 metres

Elastic:  0.6 metres


Pattern
:  OOP Butterick 6717

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, paper scissors, fabric shears, pins, pin cushion, Janome sewing machine, regular presser foot, blind hem foot (for edge stitching and hem), Janome serger, threads, hand sewing needle (for hem basting), thread clippers, safety pins, iron, ironing board, coffee and audio book (This Changes Everything).  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Long Sleeve Cotton Knit Dress: SD Patterns

  This is the second time I'm revisiting this asymmetrical maxi dress by SD Patterns.  Sadly, this pattern doesn't appear to be avai...