Sunday 13 November 2022

Knit Sweater and Tuque: OOP Simplicity 8529 and The Littlest Studio Tuque Patterns

This sweater is made with a tried and true (TNT) pattern, out-of-print (OOP) Simplicity 8529.  I actually picked up this fabric with thoughts of sewing a tunic with Vogue 1914 but after reading some reviews, I changed plans towards a pattern and fit I trust.  This wasn't fabric I wanted to use to test out a new pattern.  

I actually picked up this fabric with thoughts of sewing something to go with these pants.  The brown tweed used for the pants has pink and white specks.  And this pink knit has printed little brown horse.  I thought it would be a cute match-up.  I totally disregarded the fact that I once vowed to stop wearing petroleum-based fabric.  It is a 100% polyester knit.  My bad.  

I'm not expecting this fabric to perform well.  I'm expecting that it may start pilling during the winter and I do have a sweater shaver near if that happens.  The fabric was pretreated with a tumble in the washing machine and dried in the dryer.  It did lose much of its original body and has more drape post-washing.  

And it was a pain to sew.  Even though I changed the needle, used a knit stitch on the sewing machine and used polyester thread, it did not sew well.  I wouldn't recommend this fabric.  Sorry Fabricland, this fabric is not a winner.  Do I have buyer's remorse on this fabric?  Yes.  But I also like the final outcome and hopefully, I'll enjoy wearing this one more than I did sewing it.  

There was a wee bit of fabric left-over and made a matching tuque.  I cut this one a wee bit smaller than The Littlest Tuque pattern, it fits me better.  I like the slouchy style of this hat in this fabric.  It won't keep me warm during a prairie winter but it is cute to wear indoors with the matching sweater or in the seasons before and after winter.  


Project Details

Seams:  Knit stitch on the sweater, serged on the tuque

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.7 metres

Knit 'N Stable tape:  1.2 metres


Patterns
:  OOP Simplicity 8529 and The Littlest Studio Toque pattern


Additional Tools & Supplies
:  Cutting table, clapper (for weight) pins, pin cushion, scissors, tailor's chalk, Janome sewing machine, universal sewing machine needle, screwdriver, threads, tweezers, Janome serger, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, tea, heating pad, a nap or two and coffee.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

September is National Sewing Month: Keep on Sewing Sustainably

  This year's National Sewing Month theme is a continuation of last year's "Sew Sustainable" theme.  Be Mindful of Source...