Tuesday 29 November 2022

Stash Busting: Wool Cardigan Sweater / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

 


If this cardigan looks familiar, it is likely because you have seen one like this before.  I made one, just like it, back in May.  And I recently gave it away to someone who needed a sweater with loose fitting sleeves.  

I missed that sweater.  It was made with out-of-print (OOP) Kwik Sew 4192.  That is why I made another one.  The first version I made, I mentioned that I would go down to a size small if I made it again, but I didn't this time.  This one is, again, a size medium because the wool knit fabric that I used did shrink a bit even though it was pre-treated.  I thought I would be on the safe side because I'm also revisiting the same fabric.  

I picked this fabric at Marshall's / Northwest Fabrics years ago.  It was what some call "deadstock" fabric.  I was told it came from a dress shop that went out of business and they were selling the fabrics for $3.99 / metre but if whatever was on the bolt was purchased, it would be sold for 99¢ / metre.  


Well, I bought what was on the bolt.  It's hard to find wool knit here, despite our cold winters.  And you don't see prices like that, even back then, except in this case.  I've made a few projects (dresses, socks, tuques and sweaters) over the years with this wool, it's lovely.  And so warm for winter clothing.  

The pattern, OOP Kwik Sew 4192, is an easy and quick make.  I actually do not have the original pattern.  I traced the pattern for the short cardigan before letting go of the pattern.  I do recommend it if you and Kwik Sew 4192 happen to cross paths.  It's a project that a beginner can easily whip up.  The only alteration to the pattern was shortening the sleeve length about an inch.  The cardigan was finished with a machine rolled hem done on my Janome serger.  


Project Details

Seams:  Knit / Lightning bolt stitch

Seam finish:  Serged 

Fabric:  1.6 metres 


PatternOOP Kwik Sew 4192

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, assorted objects used as pattern weights, pins, pin cushions, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, Janome serger, screwdriver, thread clippers, iron, ironing board and coffee.  

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. View A on the pattern envelope looks much shorter than your version. Did you lengthen the body?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I didn't shorten my version. There were no changes to the front or back pieces, only the sleeve length was shortened about an inch. But you are right, on the pattern envelope it looks like it sits just below the waistline. This is not the case for the one I made, it's more like hip length. That said, I am much shorter than the models used by pattern companies.

    ReplyDelete

Long Sleeve Cotton Knit Dress: SD Patterns

  This is the second time I'm revisiting this asymmetrical maxi dress by SD Patterns.  Sadly, this pattern doesn't appear to be avai...