Wednesday 9 November 2022

Stash busting: Half Slip / OOP Butterick 5790

Wearing a knit skirt with tights, I quickly came to the realization that I need to wear a slip if I'm going to continue wearing dresses and skirts over the winter.  It's all about controlling the seasonal static and clinging that happens when I wear tights or pantyhose.  This is a sewing project that I've put off for so long that it's beyond stupid.  

The pattern used was not designed as a slip pattern, but it did have the shape I was looking for, so I went with out-of-print Butterick 5790.  The waistline was adjusted to accommodate a smaller width elastic.  The side seams were sewn with the serger only.  The casing was formed with the knit stitch on the sewing machine and the hemline was finished with the serger's rolled hem feature.  

The fabric has been in the stash for decades.  It was slippery to cut but easy to sew.  It was pretreated years ago.   I found it in the discounted section of the fabric store and picked it up for $1/metre.  Sometimes, I'm so happy that I have a stash.  And even happier that I stash busted this fabric into something I need.  

 

Project Details

Seams:  Serged (casing was stitched with the sewing machine's knit stitch)

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1 metre

Elastic:  1 metre - 1/8" elastic


Pattern
:  OOP Butterick 5790

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, clapper (for weight), pins, wrist pin cushion, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, Janome serger, threads, thread clippers, tweezers, screwdriver, measuring gauge, measuring tape and coffee.  

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to be able to wear skirts (& legwarmers) in the winter. What fabric is best to combat the static? In the summer, that.. holey... silky stuff they make men's basketball shorts out of is ideal, but would it be enough with knits & woolies?

    ReplyDelete

Long Sleeve Cotton Knit Dress: SD Patterns

  This is the second time I'm revisiting this asymmetrical maxi dress by SD Patterns.  Sadly, this pattern doesn't appear to be avai...