Tuesday 25 October 2022

In Sewing News Today...

Instead of sewing, I've been busy changing over the seasonal wardrobe.  Winter is around the corner and it's dressing-in-layers season right now.  

And I'm dealing with some hard clothing truths.  I've outgrown some of my clothes.

No matter how lovely the wool suiting fabric and well-made my collection of wool pants is, I'm likely never going to fit into most of them again.  I made many of them with out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 1325.  There is one pair that still fits I can still squeeze into.  The other four pairs are sitting in a pile waiting for re-fashioning inspiration to strike.  This dress no longer fits and also made it onto the to-be-refashioned pile.  I don't want to lose this treasure of wool to the donate pile.  I am thinking maybe a dress or something can be made with the harvested fabic.  

I am also trying to see what I can fix / alter before going full-on re-fashion mode.  


This too-tight-to-wear pair of pants, Vogue 1642, was sewn back in 2019 and found its way to the mending table to adjust the elastic back.  


I opened up one side to expose the elastic casing and dug up a length of elastic to stitch and add another four inches of elastic.  It was exactly what these pants needed.  They are now the most comfortable pair presently sitting in the closet.  I just might have to dig out this pattern, Vogue 1642, and give it another try.  All I know is that I'm at the elastic back pull-on stage of my life, it's all about comfort and this style is my secret pajama pants.  

There are socks to be mended.  I've neglected this task in the early spring when I discovered that I could sew socks and just forgot about the RTW pairs that could use some care.  But now that the cooler temperatures are here it's time to sit down, listen to that audio book I've also have been taking too long to get through and get some sock patching and mending done.  

There is a crazy idea of sewing another winter coat.  I've been putting off because it's a big project.  I would want to underline it with some wind-blocking fleece.  That's going to mean a lot of hand stitching.  And OOP Vogue 8934 has a lot of hemline darts to sew.  I'm going to use the dart shortcut I recently discovered on a rerun of Sewing with Nancy.  


I didn't get everything that I want to sew this past summer done.  But that will have to wait, winter sewing is calling, and I need to replenish my pants if I'm going to stay warm this winter.  

Talking about staying warm this winter, I would like to answer the call for some charity sewing from the church.  Winter items, hats, mitts and scarfs were asked for from parishioners that knit and crochet.  I'm not that talented but I can sew some winter scarves.  Maybe some hats?  I will have to check what is in the stash.  I know that I will have some left-over wind-breaking fleece that will be perfect for winter hats.  

Well, I better get back to work.  I think I will start with cutting out the coat and seeing what materials I have left over for the charity sewing.  

Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...