Sunday 16 October 2022

Stash Busting: Black Wool Pants / OOP Butterick 6717

Pull-on elastic back pants made with out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 6717, are my new wardrobe staple.  I have plans to replace the wool pants that no longer are a comfortable fit.  And there will be more of these to come now that I have the fit issues all worked out.  


The height of the waist was raised one inch and an inch was added to the side seams.  I was working with a size medium.  The pant hem was shortened two inches (2 1/2" inches on the left leg) and were sewn with a two-inch top-stitched hem.  Lower back pain made me lazy to the idea of basting before digging out the blind hem foot for the sewing machine.  I can live with the top-stitched hem even though it wasn't my preferred hem finish.  Just like the first pair I made with this pattern, I left off the side pockets.  

The fabric is a black wool suiting that has been in the stash for decades.  I believe this fabric originates from circa 1990s and that makes this vintage.  It was previously pre-treated.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.4 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2 metres

Elastic:  0.6 metres


Pattern
:  OOP Butterick 6717

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushion, measuring tape, measuring gauge, ruler, tailor's chalk, scissors, Janome sewing machine, regular presser foot A, threads, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, Janome serger, safety pins, heating pad, pain meds and coffee.  

Happy Sewing!




2 comments:

  1. "Heating pad, pain meds and coffee." I hope you are feeling better by the time you read this comment! Elizabeth C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully yes, the heating pad, meds and rest all helped yesterday. Thanks.

      Delete

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...