Monday 3 October 2022

Stash Busting: Plaid Pull-on Pants / OOP Butterick 6717

This fabric has been in my fabric stash for decades, at least three.  It came with me when I moved from another part of the country.  It's not the original cut.  I actually cut some when I made myself a DKNY skirt many years ago.  I outgrew that skirt.  And I've been holding onto the last precious 1.8 metres of this beautiful wool and silk plaid fabric, too scared to cut into it.  You don't find fabric like this anymore.  


It's not perfect plaid matching, I'm only working with 1.8 metres.  That's my excuse and to be completely honest, I don't mind.  These pull-on pants will keep me warm.  

Since I was working with less yardage that is listed on the pattern envelope never mind no extra yardage for plaid matching, there were some sacrifices besides the obvious.  The side pockets were omitted.  And the length was shortened four inches which turned out to be too much.  There wasn't enough extra length for a hem allowance and a machine roll hem solved that problem.  

The pattern, out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 6717 is worth a revisit for sure.  I sewed a size medium and added one inch to the side seams for a total of four inches extra ease.  If I were to make another change when revisiting this pattern, it would be to raise the height of the center back about an inch.  And of course, leave the hem length alone.  Absolutely love the flat front and elastic back waist, these are so comfortable.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.8 metres

Elastic:  1 inch width - 0.7 metres


Pattern
OOP Butterick 6717

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, fabric scissors, pins, pin cushion, measuring tape, measure gauge, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, screwdriver, threads, thread clippers, iron, ironing board and snacks.  

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...