Sunday 30 October 2022

Stash busting and Sewing Bloopers: Butterick 6296

Other than the sewing machine and serger, the seam ripper has been my most valuable tool for seeing this project to the end.  I was working on this project while feeling under the weather, not the best condition for sewing.  But I digress.  

The collarless feature of this pajama top, Butterick 6296, was part of the countless sewing bloopers that happened throughout the day.  I didn't realize this blooper until I reached the ironing board to press the facing.  At that point, I didn't have the energy to open up the neckline and try to make the correction.  

And there were other bloopers, I lost count but let me try to recall. 

  1. Tailor chalk markings were made on the wrong side of the fabric.   
  2. I forgot to stitch down the facing on the pocket before stitching it in place.  I had to hand-stitch it down afterwards.  
  3. I sewed the wrong side of the pockets to the front of the pajama top.  
  4. I sewed the front facing pieces to the wrong side of the back facing and had to tear those stitches out and try again.  
  5. Did I mention that I cut out the collar pieces, interfacing and attached the interfacing only to forget to sew the collar and attach it with the facing pieces?  
Yup, it's a miracle that I ended up with a finished pajama top.  

There were also some intentional changes / alterations to the pattern.  The sleeve length was shortened, and the front pockets are from vintage Simplicity 6851.  There is an extended back facing top-stitched in place to the shirt back.  

This pajama top is the matching piece to these pajama bottoms that were made earlier this month.  The set has been gifted and thankfully well received.  We both agree that even though leaving off the collar was not intentional, it may be something that will be revisited on future pajama top project.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 - 2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  1.9 metres

Buttons:  3 - 1"


PatternButterick 6296

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, wrist pin cushion, tailor's chalk, tailor's wax, hand sewing needle, sewing machine, serger, buttonhole foot, regular presser foot, threads, iron, ironing board, seam ripper, thread clippers, Vick's, tea with lemon and honey and many breaks.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...