Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Tim Gunn Project: Dress Pants

Stash Busting 2013:  Project #32

Worst. Photograph. EVER!
But you get the gist of it, right?

Fabric Used:              2.3 metres of wool and cashmere suiting fabric

Pattern Used:            Vogue 1325

Bias Tape Used:        30"

Pant Hook and Eye:  1 set

Zipper Used:             7" regular zipper

*****

I finished these pants on Sunday but I just can't get my photography act together. It has been really humid here lately which also doesn't motivate me into putting on a pair of wool pants to photograph.

But I do love this wool fabric. This is the most luxurious fabric that I had in my stash. It is a fairly recent addition to my stash. Once I discovered that Vogue 1325 was a pant pattern that worked for my body shape, I picked up a nice wool.  

First, I had to pre-treat the material. I used this method, it works great. I highly recommend trying this next time you have wool to pre-treat. The fabric is a lightweight wool so I opted to use the wool fabric instead of lining fabric for the pocket and waist facings. I did interface the facing pieces and everything worked out fine without too much bulk.  

This is the third time I used Vogue 1325. I'm quite smitten with this pant pattern, these pants are extremely comfortable and easy to sew. Don't be scared off by the pattern's "advance" rating.

For this pair of pants, I thought I would add the belt loops (I left them off the other two pairs) but quickly changed my mind after trying to turn over the fabric without the aid of a loop turner. Once upon a time I had a loop turner, no idea where where it would be hiding. I'm good with the fit even without the belt loops. I just thought I would make these look a little different from the navy pair.

I'm happy to report that almost everything was busted out of my stash. The only exception was a dark charcoal spool of thread used for the topstitching around the waist and fly. I did make a quick trip to the store and I'm glad I did because it is a perfect match that I used for the blind hem too. I used a blue seam binding stash busted out of Mama R's collection which matched the thin blue pinstripe in the dark charcoal fabric. Thanks Mama R!

Well, I need to get out of these wool pants and into something much cooler.

Happy Sewing!    



No comments:

Post a Comment

With Some Focus, Careful Measurements, and Coffee...

I was able to grade a pattern. This is the first time that I have actually sat down and tried to grade a pattern by hand. It's a b...