Sunday, 18 August 2013

The Tim Gunn Project

One out of the nine projects are done and now it is time to move onto the next project. Well, actually two...

✄ Vogue 8904 (Basic Black Dress)
  Vintage Vogue 1985 (Day Dress)
  Butterick 5365 (White Shirt)
  Vogue 8333 (Blazer)
  Vogue 1325 (Dress Pants x 2)
  McCall's 8246 (Sweatsuit Alternative)
  Advance 8436 (Sweatsuit Alternative)

Yup, up next are the dress pants. I have to admit that my wardrobe has been lacking good dress pants for quite some time. I made a pair of navy wool using Vogue 1325 and I'm pleased with how they turned out. I even used the pattern for my jeans! I wouldn't mind a couple more of these pants and I plan to use the same pattern.

The first pair I'll make out of fabric that I splurged on big time. I picked up a beautiful wool and cashmere blend in a grey with tiny blue stripes at Mitchell Fabrics. Even at 50% off this fabric was a hit to the budget especially during a lay-off. Let's just call it an early birthday gift (I picked it up a couple of weeks ago) and a can't wait to get back to work gift. But it is beautiful to the hand and these will made a work appropriate pair of pants.

For the second pair, I have a solid black British wool in my stash that will fit the bill. It is a really nice suit quality fabric but nothing like the wool and cashmere blend. None-the-less, these two fabrics will do nicely for work appropriate dress pants.

So, have you ever splurged on an expensive fabric?




1 comment:

  1. I'm in a similar position as you. Worked at a very casual work wear job for the last five years. Quit a couple of months ago and moved 50 miles away. Just signed up with a temp agency and had to rush out to buy something businesslike to wear for the interview. Now I'm trying to sew up some office-ready clothes.

    Looks like you have a very organized plan and are coming right along... Good Job!

    ReplyDelete

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...