Saturday, 10 August 2013

What is Important in a Dress

Over the years, I have learned that what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it.  ~Yves Saint Laurent

An updated picture will hopefully come soon.  
Stash-Busting 2013:  Project #29

Fabric Used:                2.3 metres of Satin Crepe

Pattern Used:             Simplicity 2372

Zipper Used:               22" invisible zipper

Basting Tape Used:  44" of tape

Finally finished the dress! I have been slacking off the past couple of days. Anyway...

Mama R loves this colour of blue a million times more than the light blue dress I made her before this one. She thinks that she is "too old" (her words, not mine) for light colours. I think she is being silly and that the light blue dress looks lovely too. But like Yves says, "what is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it."

The fabric for this dress has been part of my stash for years and then last year I gave it to Mama R with the promise that I would make her a dress out of it. Sometimes, I'm slow at getting to those promises. I'm sure this fabric came from Fanny Fabrics when there was a location in the city. Or it may have come from Fabricland. To be completely honest, I'm not sure where I bought this fabric, just that it was a long time ago.

The zipper is a darker blue than the dress but you can't tell (gotta love invisible zippers!). And it was nice to use another one out of the stash. Same with the thread, I had a perfect match for the serger and the sewing machine. Having enough overlock thread in a perfect match was a total fluke.

The pattern is one of Mama R's favourites. And I'm reluctant to put it away since Anne has suggested that I make her and Mama R matching animal print dresses. Mama R giggled at the request. It seems like she's open to the idea. I think a fabric shopping trip might be in my future. Is it bad that I say that in a stash-busting post?

Happy Sewing!





1 comment:

  1. Isn't stash-busting just making room for new friends?

    ReplyDelete

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...