Sunday 2 August 2020

White Jeans: Butterick 5682

Sewing a pair of boot leg jeans has been on my sewing wish list for a long time. These are a wearable toile.  


It all started with Butterick 5682. It's a pattern that has been in my stash for about as long as I've been thinking about sewing my own jeans. 


I picked up this pattern because its description states that it sits at the waist and I really didn't want to have a pair of low-rise jeans. It's not a good look on me. During the sewing process, I feared that these may also be ones that sit a bit lower than the waistline. 


It didn't help when I was confused with this note found on the waistband. They do indeed sit at the waist, much to my relief. I'm not so sure about the fly front though. It calls for you to cut a seven inch zipper, I think the next pair I'm going to adjust the fly and fly facing pieces to modify this part. And perhaps adjust the crotch depth.   

Next pattern fix, I will be adjusting the size and shape of those front pockets. The front pockets are more decorative than functionable. I need functionable pockets. And since I do have a tummy issue, I would even consider extending the width of the pockets all the way to the fly facing pieces as I have seen in RTW jeans.  

And the length, I didn't quite get it right when I shortened the pattern piece. I missed the mark. It's just a little bit short, actually they're perfect unhemmed. To finish the hem I used seam binding. I'll correct the length on the next pair.  

Since this is a toile, I didn't complete all the top-stitching in the crotch seam. 


The pattern is worth a re-visit and there is some dark denim that I'm willing to cut into for the next pair.  

The fabric used for these white jeans is a 100% cotton soft denim that I found many moons ago at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics. It's the same fabric that I used for the first batch of face masks so I actually have a matching face mask to wear with these. The fabric was pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before hitting the ironing board for a good pressing.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 stitch length and 5/8" seam allowances, 2.8 stitch length for top-stitching.  

Seam finish:  Serged

Tips:  Double check the pant leg length with a pair of trousers or jeans that you already like and wear. (This is a reminder for myself).  

Fabric:  2.10 metres

Interfacing:  1.2 metres fusible

Closures:  7" zipper and metal hook.  

PatternButterick 5682

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushions, tailor's chalk, measuring tape, scissors, measuring gauge, thread clippers, tweezers, hand sewing needle, bandage, sewing machine, clear presser foot, zipper foot, serger, threads including jean thread for top-stitching, and tailor's wax, 

Stay Safe, Be Kind and Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...