Monday 17 August 2020

Bootcut Jeans: Butterick 5682

These are my first pair of jeans post-toile.  And it really is a fluke that I've just sewn "this season's It jean."  Who knew bootcut jeans were back in style?  It's not the reason I've sewn this style.  I'm more about sewing comfortable clothing than sewing trends. And trust me no one wants to see me in skinny jeans. Oh wait, those aren't in style anymore. This couldn't have worked out more perfect.  

I did tweak the pattern on this version. I raised the crotch length about 3/8" and adjusted the shape of the front pocket for more depth. Oh, and the front fly is not as instructed, I didn't cut down the 7" zipper, rather I lengthened the front fly pattern pieces and kept the zipper it's length. The belt loops were left off because I never wear a belt.  

The 100% cotton denim has been in the stash for many moons. To be completely honest I can't remember when or where I picked this up. It's a heavier weight denim and these jeans will be perfect for doing yardwork. They're strong enough to handle the work. 

The fabric was pre-treated with three washes before hitting the ironing board for a good steam pressing. I don't usually pretreat fabric in this way but I wanted to be certain there won't be any shrinkage or fading once they hit the cutting table. For the final drying process I hung the fabric outside to dry.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 length

Seam Finish:  serged and top-stitched with jean thread

Tips:  If you can find a Jean-a-ma-jig, it's worth having around for getting over the extra thickness of fabric while top-stitching.  

Fabric:  2.10 metres denim

Lining:  0.20 metres

Interfacing:  1.10 metres fusible

Closures:  7" metal jean zipper and 2 metal "no sew" jean button (ruined the first button)

Pattern:  Butterick 5682

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, scissors, pins, measuring tape, tailor's chalk, measuring gauge, clear ruler, seam ripper, sewing machines (Janome for most of the construction and the vintage brother sewing machine for the buttonhole), zipper foot, clear presser foot (for topstitching), basting tape, hand sewing needle, thimble, clapper, iron, ironing board, thread clippers, pin cushions, cutting board, hammer, screwdriver, the jean-a-ma-jig and a wee break for some birthday cake.  

Happy Sewing!

 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Catherine! A pair of jeans has been on my sewing bucket list for years. I can't believe I actually feared this project for so long.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...