Thursday 27 August 2020

In Sewing News Today...

Now that I finally found an appropriate sized box, I need to pack these up, head to the post office and get these shipped.  It's another batch of scrub caps that I've been sitting on for way too long.  

This project kept my hands busy and provided a sense of helping out during the pandemic even though this has been in a very small way.  It has also been a great way to use up some fabric scraps. 

The solid yellow cotton and yellow floral silk/cotton print (shown at the bottom) were remnants from slip projects.  The blue and white Japanese cotton and pink lightweight linen scrub caps were made from new yardage.  The red polka dot cotton fabric was left over from little girl dresses.  The blue chambray scrub cap was made with left-over fabric from a Dad and little boy set of shirts.  The blue bird cotton print fabric was left over from a dress.  The blue bee printed cotton was a quilting cotton picked up with the thought of making microwave cozies.  They are going to some hard working nurses at a long-term care home who were working during the pandemic.  I hope these provide a sense of appreciation for all that they do for the people they're caring for during this challenging time.  

I'm going to move onto sewing face masks.  There has been a call from local homeless shelters for these and there is still small pieces of cotton fabrics that I can use for this project.  I'm going to try another pattern though. 

In other sewing news, my version of the Strassburg Sock works. It's not my fanciest sewing but it is one of my projects that I'm most proud of, go figure.  

This week I was shocked by a Alexander McQueen jacket with Melania's not so subtle attempt to highlight her husband's "law and order" rhetoric. There was something so very ominous about the outfit choice for a political speech.  


Her costume choice spoke volumes over her scripted speech. Not all communication is verbal as noted in Bethan Holt's piece "Battle-ready:  What's the Meaning Behind Melania Trump's Military Jacket." Considering that McQueen's earliest collections earned him a reputation for controversy and shock tactics perhaps the decision to go with a McQueen military jacket for this event shouldn't have surprised anyone. 

All this military costume dressing makes me want to sew a white pants suit. Or at least something more cheerful as the state of the world makes me shake my head at times.  


It might be time to break out Butterick 5898 and a lama print to create a wrap dress. I could really use something cheerful to wrap myself in just about now. Or it might be a t-shirt, pajamas?  I still have some time to decide as I get to work on more face masks.  

Well, that's all in sewing news today.  

Stay Safe and Happy Sewing!


1 comment:

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...