Tuesday 27 September 2011

In sewing news today...

Ordered!  

I just heard from the Church office that the burgundy taffeta has been ordered from Mitchell Fabrics. And here I was under the impression that the manager from Mitchell Fabrics Ltd. did not call back. The truth of the matter is that the manager called back right away and shortly after I left the office.

A big shout out to Mitchell Fabrics Ltd. for helping us out on this one.

The church has a beautiful idea for the Christmas Eve decorations. I can't say too much here but maybe they will allow me to take a photo when it is up? It is hard to believe that Advent will begin in two months.

But right now, thanks Mitchell Fabrics Ltd. This wouldn't come together without your help with ordering a large amount of taffeta fabric to a small prairie city!


You don't get this kind of service at the big chain fabric stores.



Hundreds of Buttons... 

There seems to be hundreds of buttons in my collection.  Some are vintage, others are rescued from previously loved garments, and some are from fabric stores. When I claim to have hundreds of buttons in my possession you might be asking, "Why would you go to the fabric store for more?"

Well, I didn't have enough suitable buttons in my collection to finished off the Marcy Tilton jacket that I'm sewing. The fabric is a lightweight evergreen cotton sateen.

And I found nice buttons that I thought would go well. I picked them up at my local Fabricland store. They have a sort of marbleized effect on them.

I checked the pattern book to check how many buttons I would need. A quick glance lead me to mis-read five and headed to the cashier to make my purchase.

I didn't even catch on that I made a mistake until I finished sewing the buttonholes!

The pattern calls for five buttons for View A, I'm making view B.

I refuse to make a special trip to the other side of the river for one more button and instead dig through the hundreds of buttons sitting downstairs.


I found two that I believe will work since the jacket has deep cuffs that will be turned upwards.

I'll just use the rustic looking buttons on the cuffs and the marbleized green buttons on the jacket front.

Problem solved. Not quite.

Did you notice what I sewed onto the cuffs?

Yes, I sewed the wrong buttons on the cuffs.  

Guess what I'll be doing this evening.

1 comment:

  1. I had to chuckle at your button woes. Been there too! Especially the 'sewing the wrong buttons to the part that should have different buttons'. :D

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...