Friday, 1 August 2014

Matching Jacket for Mama R

Stash busting 2014:  Navy Satin Crepe Jacket

Fabric:      1.2 metre of satin crepe
                1.2 metre of silk organza
                1 metre of lining
                0.5 metre of medium weight woven interfacing

Thread:   polished off another spool of thread.

Pattern:   Vogue 8916

To be completely honest, I was not all that thrilled about tackling this project. I didn't think that the satin crepe would work with the cardigan shaped jacket pattern. I was wrong. It all worked out beautifully.


And now Mama R has a matching jacket to go with her navy crepe dress.  

I underlined the satin crepe with silk organza. I have to say that I'm a huge fan of underlining. The difference it makes to a garment is incredible beyond words.


Yes, it is time consuming to hand baste the organza to the fashion fabric but it really is worth the work. Erica B recently posted a make that she underlined but used her sewing machine to baste the underlining in place. It worked out great--smart lady! Since the fabric that I was working with was on the slippery side I thought I would try machine basting for another time. I also basted the markings for the back shoulder dart through both layers of the organza and fashion fabric. With all the prep work done I was able to get to work.  


This jacket is a quick make after all that prep work, of course. The front piece is underlined with a stiffer non-fusible interfacing fabric. But I also underlined the front facing with organza. There was no cutting corners when sewing for Mama R. Okay, maybe I did cut corners in one part of the jacket.


The inside of the jacket is lined with a blue lining but I came across the sleeve lining in navy that I cut out for the first version of the jacket which I left off and I used that instead of cutting a new set. No one will ever see that the lining pieces don't perfectly match except Mama R, me and you. Our little secret.

The more I sew up this pattern the more I'm becoming a huge fan. And now that this is the third version that I have made it really didn't take much time at all. I have one more version in queue.

Happy sewing!


4 comments:

  1. It turned out so lovely! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks so lovely. As for the lining, I say, have fun. I like to put a stripe of a different color lining in the sleeves of my jackets.

    ReplyDelete

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...