Sunday 21 May 2023

Front Zippered Robe: OOP Simplicity 7018

Out-of-print (OOP) Simplicity 7018 was a second hand store find that I couldn't pass up.  I picked it up for under forty-cents!  I don't need a robe, I have a cotton terry one that I am quite happy with and have no intention of replacing anytime soon.  But I do like the idea of loungewear, a housedress if you like, something cozy to wear around the house while doing housework or to wear at the end of the day while I curl up with a chai latte and book.  That's the dream.  

OOP Simplicity 7018 is a well-drafted pattern.  I would certainly recommend this pattern if you come across it.  Being a petite (under five foot), I really like the raglan sleeves over the set-in sleeves with dropped shoulders found in most of the current robe options out there. 


This version is view F with the front zipper.  I borrowed the front patch pockets from the other versions (A, C and D) of the robe and used it here.  Otherwise, it's straight from the envelope.  I didn't shorten the length anywhere.  

The fabric was a remnant piece found in the discounted bin at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics many moons ago.  It is a sublime sweatshirt fleece from Katia Fabrics.  It's the last piece of Katia fabric in my fabric stash and I have to say it's been a pleasure to work with these fabrics for this and all the previous projects.  It really is lovely quality fabric.  I would recommend it if you're looking for a quality cotton sweatshirt type fabric.  It was pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine and dryer before hitting the cutting table.  


Tips and Techniques

This robe pattern has several front closure  options.  View F has an invisible zipper and I have a few tips for sewing these types of zippers.  The first would be to use basting tape instead of pins for holding the zipper in place.  I especially like this when there is a seam line that I'm trying to match.  The second is to invest in an invisible zipper foot for your machine.  And I'm not referring to those plastic ones found in craft stores.  I've tried those and it's not worth what you think you will be saving.  For quality workmanship, invest in the best quality tools you can afford.  Remember to search second hand stores, sometimes you can find sewing machine presser feet in the craft / thread sections and you can save there instead of spending on those plastic versions.  One more tip regarding invisible zippers, open and press the zipper teeth flat before attaching it to the fabric piece.  

Pre-treat your fabric.  I can't say this enough.  Of course, the main reason is to pre-shrink your fabric before cutting.  Then there is the added bonus of working with a clean piece of cloth.  Cotton fabrics generally shrink about 5% after washing.  Considering this, wouldn't it be better not to mess with fit and shrinkage after a project is sewn?  


Project details

Seams:  Knit (lightening bolt) stitch and 2.6 - 2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.8 metres


Label
:  1 - KATM care label

Zipper:  22" invisible zipper

Basting tape:  2 metres


Pattern:  OOP Simplicity 7018

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushion, tailor's chalk, spring hinge fabric scissors, wrist brace, measuring tape, measuring gauge, Janome sewing machine, invisible zipper foot, walking foot, screwdriver, threads, Janome serger, thread clippers, iron, ironing board and coffee.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...