Thursday 4 May 2023

Stash busting: Another Pair of Pull-on Pants / OOP Butterick 6717

Out-of-print (OOP) Butterick 6717 is my go-to pattern for pull-on pants and when I came across this wool fabric in the fabric stash, I couldn't resist for some reason.  I know, I have, in the past, professed that pink is not my favourite colour but here I am sewing up a pair of pink pants.  And these are not a muted pastel shade of pink.  Go figure.  


We'll have to wait and see how often these will be pulled from the closet to be worn.  

As mentioned, OOP Butterick 6717 is my current fav pants pattern.  They are really comfortable.  I left off the side pockets and that is the only change I made to the pattern.  The fabric is a 100% wool suiting fabric that I found at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics ten years ago.  Yes, it has been in the stash for that long!  I actually picked this fabric up to sew a Teal Traina vintage Vogue dress pattern (OOP Vogue 1186).  I never got around to sewing that dress pattern and the pattern has since found another owner.  Sometimes, it feels like a fabric rarely becomes a project that I first envision it will become.  There is enough to sew a vest or perhaps a matching blazer.  Maybe?  

Techniques and Tips

I used the dryer method for pre-shrinking the wool fabric.  I threw a damp / wet towel into the dryer with the wool fabric.  It works for wools that won't be seeing the inside of a washing machine.  These pants will be hand washed in the future.  


Project Details

Seams:  2.6 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged 

Fabric:  2.10 metres


Pattern:  OOP Butterick 6717

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, spring release fabric scissors, pins, pin cushion, tailor's chalk, spring release thread cutters, iron, ironing board, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, blind hem foot, Janome Air Thread serger, screwdriver, threads, large towel, wrist brace, heating pad and a few breaks here and there.  

Happy Sewing!  

1 comment:

Upcycled Project: Dress to Sweatshirt / OOP Simplicity 8529

  Changing over the closet as spring and summer approach is also a time to reassess what items should be packed away for the next seasonal c...