Monday 20 December 2021

Butterick 6495: Is it a Jacket or a Cardigan?

It's nippy out there and who wouldn't want a comfy cardigan made with a warm cotton sweatshirt fabric?  This is my hope, that this cardigan will be well received.  Butterick patterns refers to this piece as a jacket but I think of a jacket as having some sort of front closing, a cardigan does not, so I'm naming this garment a cardigan.  

I would highly recommend Butterick 6495 as a quick make for someone on your Christmas list.  Or for yourself if you've been extra good this year.  It's actually the third time I've sewn up this project and I would even recommend this for a beginner.  This cardigan has only four pattern pieces (front, back, sleeve and band) and comes together without any issues.  This is one well-drafted pattern.  I was even able to flat fit the sleeves on this one.  Easy peasy!  


This fabric is a Katia print that I picked up at Northwest / Marshall Fabrics.  The cotton sweatshirt fabric is be toasty warm and the woodsy print is too cute, don't you think?  The fabric was pre-treated in the wash cycle followed by a tumble in the dryer, before it hit the cutting table.  I was thrilled that the only pressing that was required was after sewing seams and pressing the hemlines.  It handled the cotton setting on the iron very well.  


Project Details

Seams:  Lightning bolt / knit stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  2.4 metres

PatternButterick 6495

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, measuring tape, measuring gauge, cord, marker, tailor's chalk, scissors, pins, pin cushions, thread clippers, Jean-a-ma-Jig®, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, regular presser foot, serger, threads (5 spools for the equipment), and sweet, precious time.  

Stay Safe and Keep Sewing!

3 comments:

  1. That does look pretty and toasty. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out lovely. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Did you make an extra one for me? That fabric is the cutest sweatshirt fabric I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete

Cotton Summer Dress: Butterick 6784

Ever since I made this version of Butterick 6784 last summer, I was smitten over this kAtheRine Tilton design with its Lagenlook vibe.  I ...